Name:

i'll put my disclaimer here - if any of these pictures are copyrighted, let me know and i'll remove them immediately. as for my profile? 'i'm just a boring example of everybody else.' - steve burns

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

my mother told me to read an article

it's about 'the shack,' and again, made me scared of where the church is headed. it took me awhile to get to that part of the article, though. i was too upset by the first sentence:
"There is the occasional Christian-themed narrative where the telling is exceptional - the stories of C.S. Lewis and Flannery O'Connor and the movies Chariots of Fire and Lord of the Rings come to mind."

What?! The Christian-themed movies Lord of the Rings come to mind? Excuse me?

No. The books, yes. The movies, no. While I love the movies, the Christian themes are in the books, not in the movies. The movies are action movies, based (in some cases loosely based, or completely changed [for some reason I don't like any of those parts - go figure]) on the action in the books, not on the spiritual undertones. And if the author of this article does think the movies are Christian-themed, the credit should go to Tolkien, not to Peter Jackson.

I was so mad. What a complete ignoramous. It took me a very long time to get past that first sentence and read the rest of the article. By then I was wondering why I should take seriously a person so completely unlearned in the topic on which he was writing. Ugh! It still makes me mad just thinking about it. Dummyhead.

7 Comments:

Blogger melilotnfosco said...

oh, and, for the record, while people may say 'lord of the rings' for laziness' sake, it's actually 'The lord of the rings.' if you're going to print it, print it right.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 4:22:00 PM CST  
Blogger hobbitsister said...

you could write him a letter

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 5:07:00 PM CST  
Blogger chelleybutton said...

You should. :) People would get more out of the books than the movies! (says the girl who still hasn't read them;)

So are you going to tell us what the article said about 'The Shack'? ;)

I read a book by Flannery O'Connor in college, and I thought it was kind of disturbing. I saw Christian themes in it, but it was also kind of disturbing. Has anyone else read anything by her? (Flannery is a she, right?)

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 6:14:00 PM CST  
Blogger BusyMommy said...

I agree. I had a friend who watched the movies ask me how on earth any Christian would say they had a "religious theme". (Don't worry. Set her straight:) And my mother said I should read The Shack and explained the controversy behind it.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 7:02:00 PM CST  
Blogger melilotnfosco said...

the rest of the article was just more of the same old 'shack' crap.

never read anything flannery-y.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 4:04:00 PM CST  
Blogger chelleybutton said...

is that 'read' past tense or present (command) tense, mel?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 9:24:00 PM CST  
Blogger melilotnfosco said...

past :)

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 7:42:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home