Bible school family
When we got to school, we were divided into family groups in order to get to know people better. Each group had 6-8 students, plus two staff members. My group ended up being an even split, 4 guys, 4 girls, and consisted of 6 Americans, 1 German, and the 1 Swede we had at school. Our 'parents' were a married couple (the husband was German and the wife was French), who had two children, with a third on the way. I loved that group. We met 2 out of every 3 Sunday nights for Bible study and fellowship, and Thursday mornings for prayer. We became very close, and again, all I can say is that I miss them terribly.
One of the highlights of our family group was our Christmas celebration. That Sunday afternoon, the boys went out and got a tree, while we girls sat in the warm house stringing popcorn, listening to Christmas music. When the boys came home (with pink cheeks and cold hands), we all decorated the tree, singing along with the music, and just plain having a good time. I had never done any of that before. It's the only time I've ever had a real tree, and the whole stringing popcorn thing was just so traditional and quaint. And having brothers and sisters around for it all? Also new to me. It was great.
And that's my favorite family group memory.
One of the highlights of our family group was our Christmas celebration. That Sunday afternoon, the boys went out and got a tree, while we girls sat in the warm house stringing popcorn, listening to Christmas music. When the boys came home (with pink cheeks and cold hands), we all decorated the tree, singing along with the music, and just plain having a good time. I had never done any of that before. It's the only time I've ever had a real tree, and the whole stringing popcorn thing was just so traditional and quaint. And having brothers and sisters around for it all? Also new to me. It was great.And that's my favorite family group memory.

4 Comments:
Sweet:) (One year hobbitsister strung butter flavored microwave popcorn for her tree. Her tree smelled yummy that year:)
doesn't quite sound like a Christmas smell though
Great story! I had a family group in college, through the Baptist Student Union. Good, good stuff.
Aww... that sounds wonderful! :) Right out of an old movie or postcard! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home